More about Kersefontein Farm
Appearing to exist in a glorious and romantic time warp, the Cape Dutch manor house stands on the fertile banks of the Berg River, its original out buildings resembling a village street.
Originally purchased by settler Martin Melck in 1770, the story of Kersefontein is very much the story of the Melck family. Starting with the remarkable success of settler Martin Melck, the history of the family has always been closely interwoven with that of Kersefontein.
The first deed described the farm as a 'zeker Veepost' (certain cattle post) and it was precisely for this that Martin Melck intended to use it. Sheep, cattle, horses and wheat have continued to flourish here over the past two centuries.
For eight generations, the farm has been handed down to the sons, with Julian Melck the present owner. Hardworking farmer, advocate of the High Court of SA, aviator, hunter, musician and storyteller are just some of the credentials of this multi-faceted character, who has been described aptly as a modern Renaissance Man. It is here on Kersefontein where Julian continues the centuries old tradition of quality farming practices to yield and raise the best possible product.